The Red Zone is the place to find your team's game! We'll have every game, start to finish, with audio available for every game! Join us next weekend for Sweet Sixteen & Eilte Eight Action.View Details
To the surprise of many, this building has never been home to a real fire station … it was merely a theme that the original Pumphouse founders felt would be successful in combination with the structure itself. Though it has never been a firehouse, the building has a lot of history behind it.
The Pumphouse Brewery is housed in the original “William Lugg Building”. William Lugg was a prominent businessman in Longmont during the early 1900’s. The building was erected on the corner of 6th & Main Street over what was previously a wood & coal storage and sales yard. The Lugg Building was initially used as a garage & repair shop, and was known as the Ford Garage. In subsequent years, the building changed hands a couple of times, and was renamed Power Motor Company & Cleland Motor Company, in turn. In the late 1920’s, Mrs. Ollie R. Boggs leased the building & opened a “high class, up-to-date roller skating rink” named Fairyland. This use lasted only a short while, as Standard Oil of Indiana took over the building in 1930 & remodeled it for a service station. It was a large station in its day & was referred to as “Standard Super Service Station” (S.S.S.S.). Mr. Lugg operated the business himself.
J.W. Rankin purchased the building in 1935, and built his business – Rankin Chevrolet – into the largest dealership in a 6-state region. Six years later, it became Troxell Chevrolet under new ownership, & then again changed hands 10 years later to become Wills & Hajek Chevrolet in 1951. They added an Oldsmobile dealership under the same roof a few years later, and after a few additional expansions, they built a new building for their business, selling the Lugg Building to Firestone Tire Company. Firestone sold tires & serviced cars until 1991, and then leased the building to a real estate office & western wear store. In 1995, the 4 original Pumphouse partners bought the building with big plans in mind.
The Pumphouse opened in May of 1996 as an independently-owned, single-unit brewpub. To become a functional restaurant & brewery, the building had to be transformed radically, though much of the original architecture was left intact to preserve the Historical Landmark status of the building. Renovating a building of this nature – one not originally designed for restaurant use – leads to a somewhat quirky layout, but there is no doubt that the atmosphere is that much more charming & intriguing because of this.
The Red Zone was opened in October of 2004 as an expansion to the established Pumphouse business, with sights set on providing Longmont a first-rate sports bar. The Red Zone addition more than doubled the size of our restaurant, affording us the opportunity to serve a more diverse client base at a time when we were truly running out of space!